ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Decent Saturday.

Decent Saturday.

One of those rare days when it almost all clicked.

Dugald gun-show was a blast.

First off, thanks to Lorne and son of Airheads out of the Lakehead. Pleasure as always dealing with you guys. Great visit for me, and money well spent. I'm hoping they didn't notice me drooling on the Theoben

17 C, so naturally went for an out doors shoot. Wind was a major factor- very gusty.

There's a look at the "range" from the 25 yd mark. I didn't try further, on account of the wind.

Entry and exit holes of a 18.1 gr jsb at 25 yds, 780 fps, in a weatherd 1" pine slab.

Not even an old Dodge hub-cap could with stand that pellet at 25 yds...

There's the beast there, with old and new JSB Heavy packaging.

Close up comparison. They appear to be the same die pellet. The lead is a different "shade"- the difference in production is about a year.

These are a major weakness for me. I've always had a soft-spot for the old El-Paso steel tube rimfire scopes. This one is a "Marksman" 4X rimfire, with clean glass, and intact reticle.

Only fly in this ointment is I'm financially embarassed now...

Spring! ah well. At least it ain't booze, or drugs, or wildly cavorting women (I've had my share of those, thank you very much!)...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Take in a gun show, do a bit of shooting AND scored a rare(?) scope to boot? Sounds like a great day indeed!

Have you had any accuracy issues with the "new" JSB Heavies? I noticed you said the lead "was a different shade" and I seem to recall reading somewhere a little while ago that people were having some issues with the newer ones in the accuracy department. Not sure if it was just one particular batch or if it was/is all of the newer ones. Different lead/alloy content, maybe?

Cheers,
    Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

I doubt that scope is rare. It is a configuration I had not seen before in person, with a plastic objective collar, rather than a plastic bell- probly mid 70's. I like them, cause I can afford them- which probly means nobody else wants them.

I haven't shot any of the new tin, yet. I think my near empty tin of the old ones is simply age oxidized Been reading enough positive reports on the Heavies that I doubt there's much, if any, problem with them. Did score a tin of the 21 gr H&N Baracuda's as well.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

Mounted it on my .177 bbl'd 22-89 last night, after a bit of work on the valve. Lucked out with this one- it's one that the original owner though well enough of to send back to Weaver to have parallax set at 25 yds, instead of the customary 50.

6 of the 10.5 gr Cr Ultra Mags. This bbl happens to like them a lot. Off-hand at 12 Meters, 10 pumps each shot. I like the low over the bore mounting these old scopes provide. No adjustments made to the scope yet- mounted and shot as-is...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "Ain't No Half Way"

-S.R.V.

+ Reply to Thread