ScopesAndAmmo.com Store Logo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not airgun related but neat little divice.

Not airgun related but neat little divice.

Hey all.

This is a neat little device. Not really airgun related but handy none the less. If you should need fire for one reason or another....

Have a look.

http://www.werd.com/19402/firestar-fire-piston/
    Remember! Blue side up.

I used to make these with my scouts out of maple dowel. Pretty amazing little device.

We found fire fungus was the easiest to use
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMP View Post
    I used to make these with my scouts out of maple dowel. Pretty amazing little device.

We found fire fungus was the easiest to use
    I was a scout or should say still a scout...once a scout always a scout....How come my scout leaders never taught us this kind of stuff...??? I want my money back....lol.

I'd like to give that a try...Make one out of a wood dowel. Do you use a dowel and some sort of metal tubing?

PM me Sean or point me to a link. I'd like to learn how to use a dowel to make fire...I know the bow drill fire starting technique but this piston type intrigues me.

Fab
    Remember! Blue side up.

Quote Originally Posted by fabforce1 View Post
    I was a scout or should say still a scout...once a scout always a scout....How come my scout leaders never taught us this kind of stuff...??? I want my money back....lol.

I'd like to give that a try...Make one out of a wood dowel. Do you use a dowel and some sort of metal tubing?

PM me Sean or point me to a link. I'd like to learn how to use a dowel to make fire...I know the bow drill fire starting technique but this piston type intrigues me.

Fab
    Never mind Sean I just did a quick search on the www and found all the info I need....

Fab
    Remember! Blue side up.

Hi Fab

Sorry I'm a bit behind the curve here. Ya there is lots of info on the net on "fire pistons".

There is even a guy selling kits. These work well for the younger ones. Older ones made all the pieces.
    Sean

You know something Sean....I am 50yrs old, travelled all over the planet and I guess I have lived a sheltered life, because until I seen the piston fire starter on the site I posted a link to, I had never heard of or seen one in all my life....Is that nuts or what??? I'm like, WOW!
    Well, I guess that old saying about teaching an old dog new tricks has been busted.

I see a project in my near future...Maybe two or three. One out of metal of some sort. One just wood. One maybe made of some animals antlers. And, then go for a hike and see what I can find, what nature lets me find to make one.

I'm still in shock...lol

Fab
    Remember! Blue side up.

Quote Originally Posted by fabforce1 View Post
    I guess I have lived a sheltered life, because until I seen the piston fire starter on the site I posted a link to, I had never heard of or seen one in all my life....
    You're not alone, Fab - I've never seen or heard of one either!

Christ, before clicking on the link I thought "Fire Piston" was some new gizmo for starting diesel engines in cold weather!

Thanks for posting that! What a cool, simple little rig that is...

Todd
    Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweatty things!

+ Reply to Thread